Tuesday 5 May 2015

K-Edge chain catcher

Don't worry, we're not turning our blog into some kind of "unspecified ads/for sale". You could see this as an opportunity to get your hands on a great little product, but also as a product review.

So, to take it from the beginning I had a problem when I had assembled my road bike. Every now and then, when I shifted from the bigger chainring to the smaller one the chain would jump off. Kind of like it couldn't stop on the smaller chainring, but wanted to keep on shifting down. I think you understand how annoying that was. Not only did it make me have to stop and lift the chain back onto the chainring, it also scratched up my frame. Since I only ride steel bikes, not carbon, it didn't really damage the frame, but it scratched the paintwork.

What to do? I found out that there are these nifty little things called "chain catchers" and bought one from K-Edge (K13-001 Braze-on Chain Catcher, if you want to know). It was the most expensive option, but... it was totally worth it. After I had installed it my chain hasn't jumped once. And since it only weighs 10 grammes you don't even notice it's there.

I bought the chain catcher in black, because that was the colour available, but quite recently I found out that this chain catcher also comes in blue. Since my bike is silver and blue (see it here)... You get it. So just yesterday I replaced the black one with the blue one. It looks perfect, the hue is almost the exact same as the bottle cage, and if it works as good as the black one did, which I am confident it will, it's just perfect.

So: K-Edge Chain catchers. They're a really good investment, to protect your bike frame! The only objection against them is the price, they really are quite expensive. (And no, we're still not sponsored - we have to buy everything ourselves.) However, here's a chance for you to buy one of these chain catchers at half the price. A brand new one costs € 22.45 - € 23.37 (from two big bicycle products mail order companies) but I'm selling mine for € 10. It's in very good condition, like new, except for where the washer has scratched the paint. The bolts and the washer are completely unused. If you're interested, let me know. If you want another colour, though, you have to buy it somewhere else. Painting it yourself is might not be a very good option, but I haven't tried it, so I could be wrong! And anyway, I would never recommend against DIY.

Ride safe!



No comments:

Post a Comment