Tuesday 6 October 2015

Enkhjargal Tuvshinjargal

We are impressed with Enkhjargal Tuvshinjargal, the Mongolian rider who participated in the UCI Road World Championships in Richmond last week. So we did a search on her on the internet and tried to find out a little more about her. Now, finding information about her isn't that easy. It's not easy to find information about cycling in Mongolia, to begin with. There exists a Mongolian Cycling Federation and they have a facebook page (no, we really don't understand much of it). We did, however, find an interview with Enkhjargal Tuvshinjargal made a couple of years ago here. And we hope that it's OK if we repost that interview here (with some corrections), on our blog, as well. Here it is:

That's Enkhjargal Tuvshinjargal in the middle. (We borrowed this picture from Japan Cycling Federation. Hope that's OK!)

Ilaria: Hello Enkhjargal, please introduce yourself. How old are you and when did you start racing?

Enkhjargal: I'm 20 and I bought my first bike in 2005 just for fun. (Enkhjargal Tuvshinjargal was born in 1992, and this interview was posted in November 2013.)

Ilaria: Why did you start? How did you pick up this sport?

Enkhjargal: My coach Davaatogtokh suggested I do this sport and he said to me: If we start training we go for a big goal. National champion isn't enough, I'd like a Worlds and Olympics winner. We met in 2012 March.

Ilaria: You told me in Florence - after the ITT race - that in Mongolia few women race by bike. Has it been difficult  for you to get to this level? What difficulties did you face?

Enkhjargal: In Mongolia there are few women racing by bike but now many girls and children are insterested in cycling and are about to start. It has been hard for me, of course, but one year and half it's very few to get to this leavel. I'm really happy.

Ilaria: You told me you race on the road but that in Mongolia roads are not good. How can you train? Do you train there or also abroad?

Enkhjargal: In Mongolia roads aren't good and there is also a lot of traffic. Training is very dangerous. So I use to train far from the city. But in winter is very cold - 30 degrees - and I have to use an indoor trainer.

Ilaria: Do people use bike to daily move in Mongolia?

Enkhjargal: Not really, but in summer riding as a sport and as a healty execise is quite popular.

Ilaria: From where in Mongolia do you come?

Enkhjargal: I live in the capital city Ulaanbaatar.

Ilaria: Is your family happy? Do they support your sport activitiy or did you have to persuade them?

Enkhjargal: I live with my mother, when I was six she made me start with sport. She supported me a lot so far.

Ilaria: What kind of rider - and person - are you?

Enkhjargal: I'm very patient and also outgoing.

Ilaria: What's your "dream race", the race you'd like to win?

Enkhjargal: I have already rode  my "dream race", that's Cycling Worlds. Also I'd like to race and win the Olympic.

Ilaria: How is a your typical training day?

Enkhjargal: Sometimes my day is very busy. I wake up early to go far from the city. It takes time. I train three hours, then I eat my lunch and rest for one hour. In the afternoon I train by MBK for ability or I go to the swimmingpool and do some easy exercises. After that I eat my dinner and study English. In add every night I write in my diary what I learnt and what I have to learn.

Ilaria: How did you feel taking part in Worlds?

Enkhjargal: I'm really happy because I have raced together so many good famous athletes. I wanted to know where I stand, what's my level. Now my coach and I found a criterion to set my training and we understood where I must improve.

(We borrowed this picture from Snipview. Hope that's OK!)

And just to be clear again: We did not do this interview with Enkhjargal Tuvshinjargal. Originally it was made by someone name Ilaria (obviously) and was published here. We hope that us reposting the interview is OK. Other than that we are even more impressed with Enkhjargal now. We have been riding bikes in -30 degrees and it's horrible. So we wish her the best of luck in the future and hope to see more of her in all future races!

Ride safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment